Thursday, December 3, 2009

Dec. 3 Music Post

It is so hard for me to pick one song or one genre of music that appeals most to me. Really, depending on my mood, I can listen to anything. I grew up listening mostly to classic rock, things that my parents like. As I got older, I was most influenced by my older sister who was into Boys2Men, Alanis Morrisette,and other Top 40 Hits.

Today, I listen to a variety of music. I enjoy listening to the radio in the car. My stations are set to Cities 97, KS95, 101.3 KDWB, Jack 104.1, The Current, and Kool 108--Quite the variety. Although I do enjoy listening to one particular artist while I am studying, I like the variety of the radio.

When I got to college I started exploring more music, music that wasn't really being played on the radio. One artist in particular that I fell in love with was Mason Jennings. What first prompted me to explore Mason Jennings was the fact that he is a local artist, from Minnesota. I like his references to Minnesota. One of his songs is called Duluth.

If I had to pick one song by Mason Jennings it would be "Big Sur." This song has some emotional ties to me. I remember listening to this song during final, the first semester of my freshman year. I was sitting in my dorm at Middlebrook Hall, eating M&Ms and feeling great. I knew I had to take this final, but I was happy. Happy with where I was in my life, and where I was going.

All of Mason Jenning's music calms me down. I like to listen to it as I'm walking outside or trying to relax. I really like his simple style, with his guitar. His albums sound very similar to his live performances. (I haven't seen Mason Jennings live, I would love to!) Here is a video of Mason Jennings' song Big Sur. The video is of a live performance.

Again, because I like such a variety of music, it is hard for me to pick one song or genre, but ocerall, Mason Jennings is one of my favorites.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I will have to check out Mason Jenning. I have never heard of him, but it's always fun to support local personalities. Speaking of local, I really love the band "Owl City" right now. He is from Minnesota too! Have you ever listened to "The Current" 89.3? One of my friends listens to it and loves that it plays a lot of local flavor stuff.
    I think it is awesome that you have been exploring music that is not found on the radio as much. I have always been one of those people who mostly finds out about music after it has hit the radio. I think it's cool when people either discover it before it's big, or are more in to indie type music in general.

    ReplyDelete